Thursday, July 3, 2008

Meditation Contemplation Relaxation Proclamation

I went to a Buddhist temple today. Only in Hawaii do they put leis on their Buddhist statues. Because of this event, I have been thinking about meditation. I haven't been meditating as much as I used to and this is a sad thing.

Meditation [med-i-tey-shuhn] is a state of concentration and attention on some object of thought. Also a continued or extended thought; reflection; contemplation.

Everyone has their own way of meditating, this is mine.

1) Sit quietly and comfortably, but not to comfortable or you will fall asleep.
2) Minimize distractions.
3) Hands in a comfortable position. I like my hands palm. Some Buddhist have their hands in this position to catch the blessings and answers from above in their hands. I do it because it gets me into meditation mode.
4) Relax. Sometimes when I am really tense or stressed, I will tense up my whole body and the just relax.
5) Close your eyes.
6) Focus on breathing. Deep breaths.
7) Go to a nice spot in your mind. I usually go to a tree house I had as a kid and I climb up the ladder in my mind. I focus so much on that and my breathing that I am ready to concentrate, reflect, and think.
8) Hold attention on a particular object.

I like to use meditation to develop mindfulness, concentration, tranquility, insight, relieve stress, and prepare for a test.

I learned today that Buddhist say that the path to enlightenment entails three types of training: Virtue, Meditation, and Wisdom.

Happy Meditation.

1 comment:

Marni said...

Brian I simply adore you. When I think of you I think of peace. Thank you for the meditation tips.